April 5, 2025
Nnamdi Kanu

The National Security Council (NSC) rose from an emergency meeting yesterday with a declaration that the leader of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, is not yet off the hook, the Thursday quashing by the Court of Appeal of the terrorism charges against him notwithstanding.

Kanu’s counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, differed with government, saying his client must first be released even if other charges would be filed against him.

The NSC, which advises the President on “matters relating to public security”, also directed the National Security Adviser and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) to investigate the oil theft in the Niger Delta.

The council, taking a cue from the initial reaction of the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) to the Kanu matter, said the IPOB leader was not acquitted of the cases previously preferred against him.

It said government was considering the next step to take on the matter in due course as he has some other issues against him.

Addressing State House correspondents at the end of the Council meeting, Police Affairs Minister Maigari Dingyadi, with whom were Interior Minister Rauf Aregbesola and the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, said what would become of the case against Kanu would be decided in the coming days.

“The issue of Kanu was also raised and Council was briefed on the state of things on the matter and it was observed that Kanu was discharged, but he was not acquitted,” Dingyadi said.

He added: ”So, government is considering the appropriate action to be taken on the matter and Nigerians will be notified of the position that will finally be taken on the matter in due course.”

He said the Council only discussed the Appeal Court’s  judgment, but noted that solutions to this kind of matters could be considered as long as they were not sub judice.

Besides, the NSC directed the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) and the Office of the Secretary to Government of the Federation (OSGF) to set up a high-powered investigation committee into the crude oil theft in the Niger Delta with a view to unraveling the extent of the theft and the brains behind it.

Aregbesola said: “The Council has decided that the National Security Adviser should put in place a strong team to investigate all issues relating to the discoveries of either abandoned oil pipelines or illegal crude oil pipelines, so as to determine, one, the extent of such illegalities and perpetrators of such, and put a report for the Council and the President.”

The Chief of Defense Staff vowed that  the military would  sustain its tempo in fighting oil theft.

“Activities of the Armed Forces and other security agencies within the oil and gas base were also commended, but with the directive to sustain the pressure. And it is our resolve to deal decisively with those who have been involved in those illegal acts,” he said

In addition, the Council directed immediate stoppage of all illegal mining activities across Nigeria.

“All security agencies have been ordered to check illegal mining all over the country. Illegal mining operations and activities in the country are ordered to be stopped and all security and intelligence agencies are to enforce this,” Aregbesola said.

He spoke of the Council’s commitment to a free and transparent electoral process next year, saying:”That is the decision of the council. We are committed to ensuring a transparent free and fair electoral process in the coming elections and all the processes leading to it.

“So we enjoin all political parties, individuals and Nigerians to pursue their democratic rights and interest with decorum. All security forces and agencies are advised to maintain the law,” he added.

Why 101 ex-terrorists were released – Irabor

Shedding light on the recent release from jail of 101 former Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists, Irabor said they were merely moved from detention facilities for de-radicalization.

He said they were “taken to Operation Safe Corridor and are currently undergoing the process of de-radicalization at the centre.

“These were people that have been in detention for several years, some of whom had served their jail terms. Others were awaiting trial, but because of the long time they had been detained and in line with the procedures for handling anyone who has been involved with terrorism, they had to be moved to the centre.”

Kanu’s lawyer to FG: Release first

Kanu’s counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, faulted the decision of the federal government to hold on to his client.

He said yesterday that  the position of the Minister of Justice/Attorney General that Kanu still had other cases to answer was “flatly wrong and perverse to boot”.

He said: “If the federal government refuses or stalls on releasing Kanu solely because it desires to levy further or new charges, it will amount to a burgeoning holding charge which is impermissible in our jurisprudence.”

Fresh charges “cannot stick” against the IPOB leader, he claimed, because in the present circumstances, “the extraordinary rendition is an abiding factor that has created a permanent barrier to his prosecution.”

He was of the view that Kanu’s trial could not have proceeded if he had not been “illegally renditioned.”

He added: “So, it is not legally possible to lose jurisdiction in the extant charges and at once obtain jurisdiction in the next round of charges.”

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *